Modern technology & scientific discoveries
Scientific findings due to the recent advance of modern technology & scientific instruments (such as fMRI & EEG), indicate exactly what ensues with bodily & brain activity during the process of regular meditation:
- superior energy & vitality due to biochemical / physical changes in the body – improvements in metabolism, heart rate, respiration, brain chemistry, immune response & antibodies
- rebalanced sympathetic / parasympathetic nervous system e.g. meditation produces a reduction in arousal & increase in relaxation
- improvement in the integrity / efficiency of certain brain connections through an increase in their number & robustness
- recent scientific findings & brain scans showed strongwhite matter changes in the anterior cingulate cortex (improving relay, coordination & communication)
- meditation increases grey matter in the brain (responsible for attention & processing sensory input)
- this may slow the deterioration of the brain as a part of the natural aging process & hence preventing onset of alzheimers / dementia
- modest increase in slow alpha or theta wave EEG activity (improved concentration, memory, creativity & exceptional insight)
- gamma waves also increase (believed to assist in improving perception & cognitive capabilities).
Such scientific findings confirm an improvement to both our physical & mental aspects with the practise of regular meditation; this in turn enables us to become much more responsive with an enhanced creative awareness.
“ Go beyond science, into the region of metaphysics. Real religion is beyond argument. It can only be lived both inwardly and outwardly. “ – Swami Sivananda